I am in the process of rebuilding my squat from scratch, and I will be starting a series on why you should too if your squat sucks like mine did, and how I fixed it. In the mean time I put together this list of 5 reasons why you should be squatting more.
1. It makes you stronger in your entire body – When we squat obviously it is going to help us increase our leg strength. But guess what? Your legs should contain some of the biggest muscles in your body, so when we do them properly, they cause us to produce more testosterone and growth hormone into our bodies, which in turn will help us develop more muscle all over. Not a bad side effect for just working your legs eh bro? Stonger legs=Stonger Tri’s and Bi’s! Sweeter Tank tops for everyone!
2. It’s functional – You squat all of the time whether you know it or not. Sit down and stand up? You squatted. Go to the bathroom in the morning? You squatted. Pick something up off the floor? If you did it right, you squatted! Bottom line is you squat, a lot! And a ton of people hurt themselves doing these day-to-day things because they don’t have the core strength they need in order to stabilize themselves properly. So make yourself better at life and squat!
3. Makes you more mobile- As I said before, when you squat you increase leg strength, but you also increase over all strength, which includes your core. Having a strong core will help you keep a strong mid line which in turn will help you help you move more efficiently. Also squatting will help people with tight hips and bad knees, contrary to popular belief. Althoug, people do get bad knees from squatting, but they get bad knees from squatting improperly. Make sure that you are using proper technique, and you aren’t trying to push too hard to fast. Be cool man.
4. Prevents you from getting injured- Squatting will help you develop strength in ligaments and other connective tissues, as well as strengthen your core stabilizer muscles. Adding this with the range of motion gains you will get from being more mobile, you have a good recipe for preventing injuries. As with anything you are only as good as your technique, so practice squats with shitty form and you wont get the added benefits, and you could possibly set yourself up for disaster in the future. Plus you dont want to be like that guy people cringe at when they see the squatting. So do them right!!
5. They make your ass look good- Everyone knows that squatting makes your ass look good, and let’s be honest, that’s whats most important anyways right? I mean who really cares how mobile you are, how strong you are, or how you are keeping yourself from getting hurt, as long as your butt looks good in those $90 LULU yoga pants right?? But seriously, that’s why we workout isn’t it? Maybe this is the least important benefit from squats, but it is a nice addition. Ya look good ya feel good!
I can’t stress enough the importance of doing your squats properly, so do everything you can to make sure you are doing them right. Use your coaches you pay for, if you don’t have a coach get one. If you can’t afford one, post your squats on forums and let others help you. You can even email me and I can give you some help. Just don’t guess, do it right. Laters!